of a jQuery Committer
Adam J. Sontag
#lionhead on quakenet
Struggled with Prototype, YUI, Dojo
- Had found jQuery
- ERMAHGARD I HERVE A BERRRHHHGGG
- #jquery on freenode
- ...and I stuck around
- All projects have weekly, public IRC meetings
- Local Meetups! Don't have one? Start one!
Come to conferences!
- Propose talks! Breakout rooms!
Why I Got Involved?
Started with working around a bug, then ...
Why I Stayed Involved?
- Fixing code I use
- Fame and Fortune
My name is Corey.
The year is 2010,
The location is #jquery - freenode.
- Bug #1414 - I can't
- Four rounds of back-and-forth with Rick
- We eventually determine we can't fix this (in oldIE)
- But - the work is still useful
- I learned a lot more about oldIE
Effects has this issue...
"Atomic Click" this button and see!
- UI Effects needed some maintenance
- RewardJS ( Moar UI Bugs )
- jQuery Core Bugs!
- jQuery Color needs some love too
- Infrastructure ( Servers )
- Core Effects Rewrite 1.8
- I can't stop myself!
- But... >You< can help me
- Find something you like, and do it
- If you like system admin - We REALLY want your help
My name is Mike.
My passion: fixing bugs.
Hmm... how many does jQuery have? I'm sure I've hit one before...
To the bug tracker!
- Bug #7557 - outerWidth() "broken" on window/document
- 2 comments on trac, 12 comments on PR...
- Closed without merge :-(
- But - the PR inspired a commit to actually fix the bug!
- I learned that jQuery cared about more than just "correctness", and that so should I.
I WILL DO BETTER.
jQuery css will have ZERO bugs
I will be a contributor.
Next 4 PRs: closed without merge.
Light Bulb moment: tickets were being closed.
Sure, I wasn't a contributor yet, but I was achieving my goal.
Ok, so why am I not getting merged? What's wrong?
Size, correctness, speed, style, readability...
Ok, so what am I doing right?
Persistence, Taking Feedback, Testing, Learning
PRs start landing. \o/
I learn: jQuery gets better as I do.
November 2011: jQuery 1.7 gets released...
I get mentioned!!!! AWESOME!
... as a "greenhorn" contributor. GREENHORN!?!?
jQuery 1.7 gets released...
O_o !!! I get mentioned...
as a "greenhorn" contributor.
jQuery changes policy to add any consistently helpful contributor to core...
I'm on the team. WIN.
If you can learn anythingfrom me:
- Be persistent.
- Make Changes.
- Realize that the right outcome is what matters.
- You don't need to be one of the "greats" to contribute...
My name is Rick.
A discussion on the jquery-dev mailing list:
If Content-Type is JSON,
$.ajax() should parse the response as JSON.
I have a patch...
Good thing John rewrote
the whole patch.
Watch the repo
Pull the master
Run the tests
Report the fails
Allow yourself to be wrong.
Style. Consistency. Clarity.
Adam Sontag &